What's this Blog All About......?

I started this blog back when I was planning my first trip to Egypt in early 2011. I thought what an interesting way to share my experiences, keep my friends and family informed of my whereabouts and receive feedback from back home.

I've now travelled to Egypt many times and I hope my adventures in this beautiful and wonderful country are of interest and liking to all of you. Please comment and let me know what your thoughts and ideas are on what you see....I'd love to hear from you......!!


Redheaded Lady

Sunday, April 3, 2011

My Arrival in Egypt

Yesterday I arrived in Egypt as I said in my previous blog.....I had a slight rise in my blood pressure and stress level when I arrived at the Cairo airport.  Let me explain....

The flight from London to Cairo was great (awesome service again!)....the plane is parked but not to the gateway, so I slowly go down the stairs of the plane (I was wearing heels and had 2 pieces of heavy luggage with me!)...anyway I get in and I give my passport to the immigration officer, he looks at it and stamps it and since I haven't mastered yet Arabic, I kind of follow the crowd to where I think the baggage area is (yes I did have another bag waiting for me)....well it wasn't....nope it was the exit area, pass security....

Now I sorta of get nervous because I left my bag on the other side of the doors and I can't find Mohamed my Tour Guide/driver who was meeting me.  There are many many other drivers all pointing signs at me but unfortunately none that say my name.....I try asking them where the luggage comes out but they don't understand me and I don't understand them. Finally I go back to security and explain that I haven't picked up my bag, they look at me like I am a complete American Idiot (which I am for leaving my bag behind) and ask for my passport and lo and behold let me go in....Wheeeeew!!

Now my anxiety and stress level has diminished but I'm still worried because I didn't see Mohamed. I finally get my big red bag and head out the exit for the 2nd time.  Thank the Holy Lord, the 100 Saints, Mother Mary and Buddha because Mohamed is now there flashing a sign with my name!! YES YES YES!

I lucked out with Mohamed, tour guide extraordinaire!  This Egyptian man is awesome.  He tells me about the Duty Free Shops (where I buy my wine....only place to get them!), takes me to the corner grocery market to pick up milk, water, eggs and coffee for tomorrow's breakfast, is a wealth of information and then takes me to my apartment or flat as they say here.

Living Room

View from The Roof Terrace

Reception area of the flat
There I meet Hossam who is my neighbor downstairs and who maintains the apartment when the owner is away in England.  He shows me the apartment, tells me everything I need to know about the place and also gives me a cel phone to use while I'm in Egypt, its very cheap. You pay as you go for minutes and I can also recieve calls internationally as well, at a reasonable price (Kenny and Javi, you read that right?)  The best thing the apartment has is the roof top terrace...awesome view!  I'm all set and begin unpacking my 3 luggage full of stuff I thought I needed to bring to Egypt with me....I probably won't use half of it buttttttttt you never know....

I'm now totally exhausted and hit the sack.......!..Zzzzzzzzzzz

Traveling Redheaded Lady (TRL)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Julie,

    Javi, Kristen, Luis and I are all here finishing dinner and Javi showed me your blog. What an amazing trip!!! I am in awe. I can't wait to hear about your adventures. It sounds as though you are in a movie. Wish I was there. Enjoy every minute of this experience.

    XO, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Carol! It's my version of Pray, Eat, Love for sure....only "Cuban style". The people here are wonderful, very polite and friendly...I have a wonderful tour guide named Mohamed who is my guide/driver/encylopedia/googleman everything!...Tomorrow I fly to Luxor and then Aswan to see the Valley of the Kings, Ramses monuments and many other amazing sites and places...I'm excited! This is truly a trip of a lifetime for me....Keep in Touch and say hi to Luis...
    XO
    Julie

    ReplyDelete