What's this Blog All About......?

I started this blog back when I was planning my first trip to Egypt in early 2011. I thought what an interesting way to share my experiences, keep my friends and family informed of my whereabouts and receive feedback from back home.

I've now travelled to Egypt many times and I hope my adventures in this beautiful and wonderful country are of interest and liking to all of you. Please comment and let me know what your thoughts and ideas are on what you see....I'd love to hear from you......!!


Redheaded Lady

Friday, April 8, 2011

Valley of the Kings and Hatshepsut’s Temple….

Valley of the Kings entrance - No pictures allowed beyond this point
The Valley of the Kings is the burial ground, specifically 32 catacombs built for the remains and the treasures of the Pharaohs and their families when it was deemed that the famous pyramids in Giza outside of Cairo were not safe from grave robbers.  Unfortunately in spite of the elaborate labyrinths and depths of these tombs they were still robbed.  The only one that was undiscovered was as we all know King Tut.


Once you enter the main gates cameras are not allowed, so its difficult to explain what I saw but it was an enormous place and I was able to go into 3 tombs, Ramses I, Ramses IX and the third I can't remember the name. They were incredibly preserved despite the fact that they are over 3000 years old!! Some have beautiful colors still on the walls depicting scenes of honor to the Gods, battles supposedly fought by the Pharaohs and other rituals….indeed it was impressive. 

Then right on the opposite side of the mountain is Hatshepsut’s Temple.  This temple was begun built by Hatshepsut about 1500 BC. She was one of the few women Pharaohs and was responsible for the creation of the labyrinth of tombs in the Valley of the Kings to protect the remains of the royal Pharaohs and future ones.  She was a very intelligent woman and was skilled in architecture and engineering.  The temple’s design is very different from other temples built by the Pharaohs. Very simple lines with impressive details at the same time….
After that I went to an Alabaster Factory where they get the natural stone and by hand turn it into lovely pieces of vases, glasses, cups, you name it.  Of course I bought a few!!! I couldn’t resist!!...


Hatshuptsut's Temple

me in Pharoah stand position!


Then we went to see the Colossus of Menmouth{?} and you think it’s going to be in a glorious temple but they are just off the side of the road….kind of strange but the statues are impressive.

Add caption











Taking a break between tours!



6 comments:

  1. Looks like you are having a great time Mom, I am happy you were able to realize this lifelong dream of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Javi!...I am having a great time and enjoying every minute of it.....Thanks for all your comments, I love you !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Julie, I se you are having a great time so glad to here, keep posting events its sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for bringing Egypt to us. Wish I was there! BTW, I fulfilled your request today. Take care and I can't wait to hear your stories when you get back. - Daisy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Olgy and Daisy, I am having a great time. I'm now staying in Central Downtown in a differrent area full of life!!...I'm so busy Im behind on my blogging....so many stories to tell....lol...Thanks for all your comments and feedback I love hearing from all of you!....

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for ur talking about me nefertiti , i think u remember this name & i hope to meet u again in egypt and luxor , welcome any time nefertiti (julie)& ur friend to visit egypt :)
    samar (luxor tour guide)

    ReplyDelete